What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

What a foolish day it is to let the fools out to play

Hmmm, did I just make up the title? or did I drag that from a dark corner of my mind.

I am a queer fool, that's all I can say...
As queer as the Welsh are strange....

Just look at their language: with their double LLs and Y as a whole word, not to mention the double FFs, and one of the longest name places in the world: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll-llantysiliogogogoch

(picture reposted from: http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/gales.jpg )

For those that don't know their Welsh, the name of the town in North Wales translates as "The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave." (Source: http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/rbeard/name.html )

Just so you know, I'm picking on the Welsh only because I proudly say I am part Welsh
(and part Scottish if you saw my Robbie Burns day post: Up ye kilt....)

Also because I came across one of the best quotes for this, the first day of April, a Welsh Proverb:
If every fool wore a crown, we should all be kings.
(source: http://www.quotegarden.com/april-fool-day.html )
I think only the Welsh are foolish enough to think that.

I will end this post with an online translation for today into Welsh (Unfortunately my Welsh is primarily based on online sources):
Ebrill Choegddynion Ddiwrnod

No comments:

Post a Comment