What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Inspiring?

Part of the reason I have not been posting much is that I am doing some course work, as I have applied to return to University and become a teacher.

Yesterday a small occurrence happened that inspired me a little, and from it I hope I inspired others.

I was at the mall, and having a bite to eat in the fast food court, I sat down next to a table of about 6 young teens. I didn't look too closely, so my guess on their age / grade in school, is based mostly on the conversation - I would say they'd be in about grade 8 (so somewhere around 14 years old).

The conversation I overheard was about choosing what they wanted to be - what career path.

After I finished eating, I politely said:
"If you don't mind, I'd like to give you some of my advice. I am in the middle of changing careers. So you don't have to make up your minds right away, for you can always follow a different career later on. But I will say is that you should follow your passions and see where that goes. I followed what I thought was a passion, and others suggested I pursue, and though I don't mind my career, I am changing to something I hope to enjoy more. So follow your heart."

Everyone of them said thank you a couple of times.

So I hope I did leave them inspired, and that I can hold on to that moment as a building block to the continued inspiration I pass on to others through teaching.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool that they were so accepting and open to your nice thoughts. I love those sorts of interactions that are totally unexpected and on the edge of life!

    ReplyDelete