What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Saturday, January 12, 2013

A Little 'Brittas Empire' Cancels Nude Swim...



Today was to be the first PanFest Nude Swim Fundraiser for 2013.

I say "was to be" because the event didn't happen as the pool was closed for sanitation reasons.

It is unfortunate, but it reminded me of a British comedy show from the 1990s that I have been watching with a housemate.

The show is "The Brittas Empire", and is about "Gordon Brittas [played by Chris Barrie], the well-meaning but incompetent manager of Whitbury New Town Leisure Centre." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brittas_Empire)
In the series, Brittas annoys everyone to the point that no one ever shows up to the leisure centre.... of if they do there's a high probability that they may die in some freak accident: (Gordon Brittas: "Since I have been manager, I am proud to say there have only been twenty-three deaths. And not one of them was a staff member." (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101054/quotes) - exact episode unknown, but I believe it was series 2)

Included in part of the incompetence of Gordon Brittas and some of the rest of the team at Whitbury New Town Leisure Centre is that parts of the centre gets closed for various reasons... including the pool a few times for "sanitary reasons" - such as rats swimming in the pool, Dolphin Day has a shark instead of a dolphin, public spreading communicable diseases - just to name a few.

So, when I heard that the pool for today's nude swim was closed for sanitary reasons (I actually overheard just before I left that someone had thrown-up in the pool), my mind went to The Brittas Empire and realized that sometimes life imitates art.

For those who've never seen The Brittas Empire, I give you a video excerpt; it is my housemate's favourite scene as we get to see Tim Whistler (played by Russell Porter) in next to nothing. Tim and Gavin (mentioned in the clip) are a gay couple.



No comments:

Post a Comment