What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Friday, March 2, 2012

A little bit of irony

Today as I was about to leave to volunteering at the Science Centre (Telus World of Science), my mobile phone beeped to tell me it had a low battery.

I don't use my mobile all that much, so I generally only charge it when it needs to be charged, and not every day / night.

At the Science Centre today there were a few activities going on. Most of my volunteering is with school groups. The Science Centre has some classrooms where they teach some hands on activities related to parts of the school curriculum; I usually help out in the classroom as an additional adult supervisor as well as helping with prep, clean-up, and anything else the instructor needs me to do during the lesson.

Once to twice a month the science centre has the classes booked only for home school students, which always is more chaotic then a group coming from a school. Today was one such day, so I was volunteering all day; one session in the late morning, one after a 1.5 hour long lunch break.

I was fine with the long lunch, because APEGGA (Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists, and Geophysicists of Alberta) were launching their National Engineering and Geoscience Month with a tower building competition  - using playing cards. The competition was during my lunch break. I went in just after it started, missing the announcement of the actual time for them to build, and watched some of the groups start. One group caught my eye as there were three good looking guys and a girl.

Since they were only starting I went to eat. By the time I had finished eating and got back to the competition, most of the towers had already been tested. I did take a moment to ask the good looking group how theirs fared.

After the competition room cleared out I went to volunteer for the second part of my shift. Which went smoothly. I left around 3:15pm to do some errands on my way home.


I got home and checked my now fully charged mobile at 4:45pm for messages. To my surprise there was one. It was from the Science Centre.... hence the little bit of irony, since I was there when the call was made (at 2pm).

The call was in regards to an application I had submitted last week for a part-time instructor position at the Science Centre. Unfortunately I knew the office closed at 4:30pm, but I still tried to return the call; I left a message when I got voice mail.

Another interesting twist in this story is that the posting I applied for had a deadline of February 17. I applied on February 23, the day I happened to notice the job posting on their website. I included in my cover email, with my application, that I understood the deadline was past but was applying in case there was an extension because it was still posted on the website. I guess there was an extension, or since I have been volunteering with the Science Centre since October I am already known to some of the people in H.R.

Next week is beginning to look interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment