What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Just call me crazy

Reposted on 2012-02-23 from defunct blog

I am planning to cycle across the UK and climb the highest peaks of England, Scotland, and Wales.
Now I am not just doing this on a whim, unplanned. I found that there is a series of cycle routes from Land's End, Cornwall, England to John O'Groats, Northeast Highlands, Scotland. The one I have looked at so far is from Lonely Planet Cycling Britain, however I have ordered some from the Cyclists' Touring Club that includes one with Youth-Hostel stops (the one I am more likely to follow). Both state that it should take about 15-20 days for the trip, but I don't think I can do it that quick. For some more information on the End to End (Land's End to John O'Groats) look here.
The other thing I am hoping to incorprate into my trip is to climb the 3 peaks. There is a chalange for this every year, but I am in no way capable to do all three in 24 hours on a bicycle. To see the three peaks, check out the BBC's Web Cams. Watch carefully and you may see me on the web cam one day (not likely in my opinion).
My plan to do this trip went through a few phases, like planning to do it in July and end up in Edinburgh in August for the Edinburgh Festival and Fringe. Then I realized that it would be smarter to get it done first - giving me time to relax in Ireland or elsewhere in the UK or Europe before the Fringe. The thought was then to hit all three peaks enroute up to John O'Groats. But Snowdon Mountain, Wales (altitude: 1085m / 3560ft) is a little out of the way.
So my current plan is as follows, and illustrated on the picture:
1.        Start in Land's End, Cornwall soon after Easter (giving me time to finish packing and get my stuff to a relatives' place that I can store it for a little while).
2.        Arrive back in Taunton about 4 days later. At which point I decide if I continue or what other options I have. Also this would be when I hand in my keys and officially move out of Taunton (forever???).
3.        Follow guided route up to Lancaster.
4.        Take a side trip to climb Scafell Pike (978m / 3210ft), England's highest peak.
5.        Stop at Carlise and decide if I follow a guided route or take my own route to get to Fort William.
6.        Fort William and side trip to climb Ben Nevis (1343m / 4409ft), Scotland's highest peak.
7.        Cycle along Loch Ness and see if I can spot Nessie on the way to Inverness
8.        Follow guided route to John O'Groats.
9.        Cycle to Wick, the closest place with a train station.
10.     Train back to Inverness, they apparently run quite frequently and don't need reservations with a bicycle.
11.     Follow guided route backwards to Edinburgh, as trains from Inverness require reservations witha bike.
12.     Train trip to Liverpool, by reservation with my bicycle - possibly giving me some time in Edinburgh.
13.     Cycle to Mt. Snowdon (1085m / 3560ft), Wales highest peak.
14.     Go to hollyhead and take ferry to Ireland
15.     Cylce around Ireland - this is where the plan falls apart as I have no idea if this will be mid May or Mid June that I arrive in Ireland.
16.     Ferry back to Swansea where I would have my next plans set and may have sold my bicycle.
17.     Train to London to get fresh clothes from where my stuff is stored before going on the next adventure.
I am hoping to be back in London sometime mid to Late June, but there are so many factors that could change that.
Now do you think I am crazy?????

Photos lost when blog when defunct.

No comments:

Post a Comment