What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Reflections on the past

Another post on Assielicious (This or that? - Nude with family) got me thinking about my nudist past. I say I have only really started being a nudist recently, but that is only consciously.

I know that since I was a teen I enjoyed being naked in my room, and around my parent’s place when they were not there. I remember watching the final episode of Star Trek the Next Generation naked at home alone, at age 16 (wow has it been 14 years since it ended!). As I recall it was my older sister’s High School Grad Banquet that night, and I was not invited…. Which was fine as I could not miss the final episode of TNG (I will admit I was a Trekie – the story of how I ‘got a life’ will come another time).

I was also told that when I was a youngster (about 3-5 years old I think), I would quite often change into pyjamas in the living room, in front of any guests that were there. I believe I was told to grow out of it (changing in the living room).

My parents are not nudists, nor do I think they oppose the idea, it was just not considered appropriate (socially acceptable) to be naked in public. Though they did make it to the play I was naked on stage last year (yes that story still needs to be told too).

That being said, I think my parents were just making sure that the general social norm was what we (I) should be learning to abide by, since there were other times, under their knowledge, that social nudity did occur (though not with them).

One such is a photo (which I will get my hands on the next time I’m visiting my parents) when I was 2 years old, where I was in the bath with my sister (about 3 or 4 years old) and a couple of neighbourhood friends around the same age.

Also, my elementary school would go camping at least once a year (I went to a private, Waldorf, school that taught according to Rudolf Steiner’s philosophy), and I tended to be the only guy in a tent with a couple girls, we saw each other naked and there was no trepidation about that (either by us or by the teachers or parents – mind you this was when I was about 7 to 11). I now recall being naked a few times at sleepovers also around that age range.

All in all, I grew up with nudity being natural, but generally socially frowned upon. That is perhaps why I am still cautious about being naked out of my home, because I am not sure it is socially (or legally) acceptable to do so.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, our sorted past lives. Even as children, we seemed to have known what the future may hold...in some sort of twisted way. As much as I was a 'shy' child, and no nudity around the house in front of the family, I loved being naked. Loved showing my dick off outside, in front of friends. (Got a bad spanking once because of it!). Always loved fooling around with (church!) friends growing up. But it's only been since my hubby and a friend took me to my first nude beach close to 10 years ago that I found my release. And I haven't looked back. It's beautiful, freeing.

    ReplyDelete