What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Sunday, May 6, 2012

I Can't Do It Alone

I have always been a shy, somewhat reclusive person. Over the years I have learned to overcome most of this (thanks in part to my older sister).

I am still learning. As I become more social, I am now feeling lonely more often. This is in part due to lack of refined social skills. I try and stay in contact with friends I make, but I sometime feel that my efforts go unrequited. I understand life can be busy - it is for me in spurts, which is why I sometimes may be out of contact with 'friends' for a month or two (in part is the feel that they aren't concerned with me).

Because of all this I tend to attempt projects on my own, feeling I have no one to call to for help.

Recently though I have been reminded that 'I Can't Do it Alone"!

Yesterday I took my car in to have the winter tires taken off (I know, it's May, and should have been done at least a month ago).
The place I took my car to was about a 20 minute walk to my Dad's, but luckily the people at the Tyre shop drove me to my Dad's (where I could borrow his car for the day).
Today I called a friend, who was luckily available, to help me pick up my car.

I am also looking at doing some house work, like replacing the basement nailed in ceiling tiles with a T-bar drop ceiling. I have a handyman who is going to help, but measuring the room, although I did it myself, would have been much easier with the help of a friend (or a housemate).

The big one, however, is a play that I am working on. First of all, it has 4 characters, and I don't feel like much of an actor.
Five years ago I produced my first (and to date only) play (at a Fringe Theatre Festival). I had a friend direct and stage manage the show. Which was great, because this year as I am learning that side of things, I realize the true importance of those roles. The last production was a huge leaning experience.

Note: I started writing the above on Friday and got distracted by actually doing something.... posting requests for assistance with my play (which is on the waiting list for the Edmonton Fringe Theatre Festival in August).
Long story short. I now (possibly) have most of the support I was looking for. I have to confirm with people their involvement, but I feel less stressed over the situation.

However, I am still in need of at least one actress - to play a 14 year old girl.
More on the play in a later post (once I finish revising the script).

No comments:

Post a Comment