What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Music Synthesizer


Google's search engine is recognizing Robert Moog, who was the first to commercialize the electronic music synthesizer, in about 1965. He was not the first to invent it. In fact, in about 1945 a friend of my family built what has been "recognized to have been the first synthesizer" (http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/articles/emc/hugh-le-caine). One of his more interesting compositions was done by changing the pitch and tone of a drop of water, he called it Dripsody:


Although I never met Hugh LeCaine - he was in a motorcycle accident a 3 months after my sister was born and was in a coma for nearly a year... passing away about 2 months before I was born.

Below is a photo (from 2001) of me on the motorcycle he was riding when he had the accident. My father rode the motorcycle for many years. 



The stories I heard about him from his widow Trudi LeCaine, and Trudi herself, inspired a fair bit of my life. Trudi was a teacher, and highly influential in the arts community in Ottawa, as well as getting the Rideau Canal system to become a public skating rink in the winter - the world's longest skating rink (http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/celebrate/winterlude/skating-rideau-canal).

Trudi was a friend of my paternal grandparents. Living in the third floor of the house my Dad grew up in. It was through my grandparents she met Hugh LeCaine, as my grandfather and Hugh both worked at the National Research Council (NRC), and my grandparents often had people over for dinner. Trudi was always part of the family, since my Dad was young.

My interest in music (piano lessons), engineering, and into the field of acoustical engineering was driven by the stories of Hugh LeCaine.
My interest in the arts (theatre, art galleries, museums, etc), and teaching came from Trudi LeCaine. She also taught me, at a young age, how to be a gentleman (holding the door for others, offering my arm to people who require assistance, etc). I was one of the last of those she considered family to see her before she passed away in 1999. I still remember parts of that day: Talking to her in her bed, and although not understanding all her words, understanding the context - she was born in central Europe, and English was not her first, or second, language, so she was drifting between languages. I knew the moment I arrived at the house it would be the last time I would see her. I treasure that time with her, and fondly remember the times with her.


If you are interested in learning more about Hugh LeCaine, check out these:



http://www.hughlecaine.com/ (photo of Hugh LeCaine, top left, came from this site)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_LeCaine


No comments:

Post a Comment