What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Mathmatical Fun?

My paid job is teaching Mathematics.
As I am drafting a quiz, to test factoring, exponents and radicals, I saw a question that I started to expand and play with and came up with what I think is a cool (in a nerdy sense) question. I am not using it on the quiz because I know the students already think my quizzes are too hard....

I will still give them the question to solve. And here it is:
Some rules to know to solve the equation:
1)  Negative Exponents:    


2) Adding Fractions:    


3) Perfect Square Binomials:     

4) Exponent and Root Relationship:    


5) Fractional Radicals:    

6) Rationalizing the Denominator:    


Applying all these to the original equation we get:



Cool? or what?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment