What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Sunday, September 30, 2012

(personal) News of the week

The biggest news from this past week of teaching was a reduction in my course load.

On Tuesday I had a meeting with my supervisor and chair of the department about how there have been a few complaints about my teaching to the chairs of other departments.

(Side note: I teach mathematics, it is a service division. So the students are actually in other programs and were commenting about me to the chairs of their departments.)

In the meeting I admitted that the course load felt too much, and by cutting my work load from 4 courses to 3 would help. The course I wanted removed was only 3 hours of teaching a week (and by Tuesday afternoon all 3 hours last week were taught!). The reason I wanted that course taken off my shoulders was:
- It was my only second year course I was teaching
- It was almost a pure calculus course, and I have not done calculus for a few years
- The other 3 courses have a fair amount of overlap in material being taught, where was this course does not

Needless to say it was a relief on Wednesday when I found out that they had already found another instructor to take over that course - someone who had taught it before.

The rest of my week felt a lot lighter after that.... however I still wasted half my weekend, and am not as prepared for all of this coming week as I had hoped.... but I have a good long break tomorrow to do all that - during the 2 hours of the class I no longer teach. (For good or bad, I still teach a class after that now vacant time.... my Mondays are: teaching at 10am (1 hr) and 3 pm (1 hr), so a good 4 hours of mid day prep for the rest of the week!)


No comments:

Post a Comment