What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Word of the Week - Robot

 



In less than a week I start teaching an after school class in programming, using Lego Robotics & NXT Programming software. This is the second year I have taught it.

Today I met the teachers at one of the schools I will be teaching at, which is partly why I decided to have today's word as Robot; I am now gearing up to teach the course.

The other reason I decided to start with Robot is that I have a  powerpoint presentation derived from Discover Magazine's "20 Things You Didn't Know About ... Robots", where point 1 is:

“Robot” comes from the Czech word robota, meaning “drudgery,” and first appeared in the 1921 play R.U.R. (Rossum’s Universal Robots). The drama ends badly when the machines rise up and kill their creators, leaving a sole lonely survivor.
Since I don't know how to post a powerpoint on blogger, I have converted it to a video and posted it that way.

Important notes: The article it is based on was published online on 2 April 2007. The powerpoint presentation was created 10 March 2011. Therefore some of the information and references are out of date, even though I updated some information for March 2011.




Link to Phillip K. Dick Android video mentioned in my video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ930zzYxl8

No comments:

Post a Comment