What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Oh Word!

It is feeling like a bit of a crunch time for me with everything I have on the go. Between the play at the Edmonton Fringe I have written (and editing), directing, producing, and a bunch of other related aspects of it, I have other work I have to fit in.

So, yesterday and today I decided to devote to a couple things I had partly forgot about, and partly procrastinated about. They are related to my teaching Lego Robotics to students in grades 4-6.

I was teaching an after school club in April through early June. As part of that teaching I am to submit a final report by the end of the month (this coming Friday). Luckily this is the second year I have taught it, and so I was able to revise my previous report - keeping some basic information about the Lego Robotics the same.

As I was doing that I was also thinking about the Lego Robotics summer school I will be teaching in a couple weeks. I wanted to get some of the worksheets done this week anyway, because I could then get them off to be photocopied before the classes start.

So, I have been revising what I had in the after school club, and expanding on some of it. While I was doing that, I started to notice how finicky Microsoft Word 2007 was getting.

I have a table (as below) in the worksheet that I was trying to copy based on different parts of the programming I was going to teach them.



Challenge (What the robot will do)
Date Outlined
Date Programmed
Checked (by teacher)
1




2




3




4




5




However, whenever I tried to copy the table the formatting disappeared. I searched Google, and the help, and nothing solved my problem.

I even restarted Word, and still the problem wasn't resolving itself.

I eventually started to close all the windows I had open to do a restart of my computer (which I do shut off almost daily). After I closed a few open programs, including Word, I decided to try again before actually restarting.

Lo and behold! the table copied properly! I'm guessing that there might have been a formatting conflict between a program I had open and Word - such that formatting disappeared off anything on the clipboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment