What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Will the phone make the grade....





My current phone is a stupid phone - as in not-smart.
I have been a reluctant to get one that is more intelligent, because I think, based on what I know of my personality and how I see a couple friends using their smart phones, I would be playing with it too much.
However a couple factors are pressuring me to now seriously consider getting one (actually probably today). These factors are directly related to may Fringe play.....

Last week I went to a session for producers, directors, and stage managers of plays being done at this year's Edmonton Fringe Festival. At that session they were mentioning the power of social media, especially Twitter - I have a twitter account I don't use, because how I see it, it works better for someone constantly able to 'tweet' - my twitter account: https://twitter.com/#!/hughkemeny

Yesterday, after a job interview, I went to one of the major malls to check what smart phones my provider had to offer, and what a couple competitors had to offer in terms of phones and plans. Throughout the rest of the day I made it to a couple more places, and narrowed things down to two phones (the two that I talked to providers about earlier in the day).

They are:
HTC One V - with Koodo (my current provider). Koodo has the phone on sale, and with what remains of my 'tab' (10% of my bill goes to pay the phone back / recover my 'tab'), the phone would only cost me $79 + tax. My plan would change, but after looking at it all, the amount I pay per month would stay about the same (depending on my data usage).

Motorola Motoluxe - with Virgin. I am tempted to switch to Virgin because of the deals the sales person (who was at one of those multi-provider places) said are sent to Virgin customers. There wasn't any super special deals on that phone, or the equivalent plan to what I would get with Koodo (which would work out to exactly the same - causing the plan to drop out of the equation). Virgin also offers a 'tab', and with using that I would only have to pay $30+tax for the phone, plus the $54 still remaining on my Koodo tab. Bringing the phone to a comparable price.

The other places I went (Cost-co & Best Buy) wanted me to sign a 3 year contract, and get the much better phones for next to nothing. I am not ready for that - been without a contract for in the ball park of 6 years. Plus as I'm still relatively unemployed, I don't want to be paying too much for a plan. Both Koodo and Virgin have plans I like for $40/month (+tax), with <25 MB data. They both offer the same sliding scale for data usage (which rests every month): $5 more for up to 100MB, $10 more for up to 300MB, $15 more for up to 1 GB, and $25 more for up to 3GB.
Currently I pay $42/month +tax.

Last night I spent time researching the two phones to see which one had better reviews.
Both apparently aren't great! But I'm looking at a starter phone (I'll probably consider an iPhone in a couple years, when I have the money), so I can understand they don't have the top reviews.

After doing all the research I have decided on the HTC One V, it had slightly better reviews in industry reviews, and I don't have to worry about switching providers.

No comments:

Post a Comment