What is a Quafaie?


Quafaie (pronounced: kwa FAY) are fantasy creatures that exist in the fantasy writing of Hugh Kemeny, and are created by him. They are primarily in Hugh Kemeny’s Black Phoenix short stories...

To learn more, read this post: What is a Quafaie?

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Winding Down...



Exactly 2 months ago I had 4 part time jobs.
  • Teaching an after school course, about 1 hour 2 to 3 times a week
  • Supervising students writing make-up exams, 2 hours every second week, on average
  • Tutoring junior and senior high math to a couple students about 2 hours total a week
  • Collecting data for the city Census, which took up the rest of my time

By this time next week I will only have 1 part time job, and by the end of the month I'm not sure if I will be tutoring as school is coming to an end for the summer.

The census job lasted only 3 weeks, that was the entire time we were given to cover our area of the city. Considering I had a few apartments that I could not get in contact with the building managers, I think I did reasonably well, not as hope for though. 

Today was the last day I was supervising the make-up exams. For the second last day where students could write, it wasn't as full as I thought. The room seats 17 comfortably. I had less than 17 students writing at any one time. The exams are a mix of time length and subject matter for high school courses, so some students are done early. The exam room is open from 5pm to 7pm, and students may write anytime during that time, so some come at 5pm, some at 6m. This means that more than 17 students may be writing comfortably, like today there were 20 students who wrote exams, and only 16 seats filled at the most. Last week, at one point, there were 21 students writing all at once, it was fun finding space for them all. I think there was a total of nearly 30 students that wrote that day too.

Tuesday will be the last day I teach the after school Lego Robotics course. I will miss the students (grade 4-6 age range). This is the second year I have taught this course and have learned a lot from last year and this year. Last year I was half designing the course as I went - having only designed the course before starting to teach it. This year I was beginning to refine it. 

Although I say by the end of the month my part time jobs will almost be gone - just the tutoring is possible for students taking summer school - in July I will actually have a full-time job.
The full-time job will be teaching Lego Robotics in a summer school. So as things wind down for the part-time paid work I have to also start winding up for the full-time paid work.

And there is also the volunteer work on top of all that. 
Most of May I was volunteering at a local theatre running the lights (see past posts). 
From a while ago and until almost September I am also "volunteering" (not sure if it classifies as volunteering) or working to get the play I wrote produced at the Edmonton Fringe in August. It is currently 5th on the waiting list, which means high probability of getting in.
Last week I got audition notices out, and have auditions on June 16. Luckily I have enough people interested to hopefully get a good cast - unlike an attempt at producing it in January. 

So as one part of life winds down, others wind up... and I hope to post a couple more on related topics soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment